In 1963 the Roodepoort-Maraisburg municipality was changed to Roodepoort and city status was granted in 1977 (at which time Maraisburg was dropped from the name).
Roodepoort is a gold-mining center in the West Rand area. A monument commemorates the Jameson Raid of 1895.
The Old House on the corner of 3rd Street and Boundary Road consists of an early three-roomed wood and iron structure, which soon had a verandah and railing added to become an attractive cottage. The old municipal offices in Berlandina Street, an attractive plaster and stone building now used as a Roodepoort branch library. It was declared a national monument in 1985. Another national monument is the old Roodepoort Town School in Rex Street, on the site of the original building erected in 1894.
The Roodepoort region is an extremely attractive residential areas in Johannesburg. It has lovely views of the city to the east and the Magaliesburg to the west. There are golf courses and entertainment areas, as well as what many consider the city's finest park, the Witwatersrand Botanical Gardens.
Roodepoort has a busy business centre, with a large variety of shops, shopping centres and shopping malls.
It abounds in accommodation of all sorts - from budget accommodation to more exclusive B & B accommodation. There are many self-catering chalets, hotels, guest houses and lodges to be found in Roodepoort.
Roodepoort is the region most conveniently situated for access to Gauteng attractions such as the Cradle of Humankind, Magaliesburg and Pilanesburg.
The area offers a wide range of services including a museum, major private hospitals, shopping centres, schools, country lodges, trails, restaurants, golf courses and country clubs